In an effort to get Addie to go to sleep easier (quicker) at night, I resorted to the highly noble art of bribing. If her falling asleep comes with no crying, getting out of bed 500 times or kicking the door, she gets a super special treat (aka whatever candy I can find in the pantry) and a sticker. 3 stickers= trip to store to buy a toy. 5 stickers= trip to Shakalaka. (Better get my Depends ready since jumping after 2 kids is no joke.)
Today was day 2 of this new reward system. She wakes up slightly early (candy motivation) and asks me if she can get a Kiss (Hershey, that is) and a sticker. I left before she fell asleep last night to go to my cousin's house to try on her hair extensions while watching the Bachelorette finale... priorities, right? My hair is a whole other issue that is not worth getting into. But back to the story: I ask Addie if I should call Daddy to get her sleep report which she promptly replied with "No... I don't think you should call Dad." Enough said. Then she proceeds to say with the sweetest look ever, "Look at my sweet smile Mommy." When did she learn how to schmooze so well?! I still hadn't told her the bad news that she wasn't getting her treat yet when she gave one last-ditch effort. "Mommy, thanks for taking me to Shakalaka." ... Good try kid, goooood try.
It's so hard not to give in and just let her have the candy, but I know that ultimately her learning how to go to sleep is more important. I wonder if God wishes he could just go ahead and give us our big kid "candy" like that job promotion or new minivan (when did my desires get so lame?) when we bat our eyes and plead with him. Or even when we try the whole "lets thank him for our blessings in advance in hopes that He'll give them to us" trick.
God is certainly no dummy. He steadfastly keeps His eyes on the end goal for our good and His glory.
Matthew 7:11 tells us "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" God desires to give us the candy just like we want to for our children. But His candy is more than a temporary sweet fix. John 4:14 "But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a fount of water springing up to eternal life."
He is the bag of M&Ms that never runs out... and He's even given it to us though we screamed and kicked the night before.
No comments:
Post a Comment