Emme is almost 19 months. Officially passing over the half-year mark and creeping towards, dare I say it, TWO.
Big changes occurring in her world now. She's learning the art of foot stompin, sibling punchin, and the ultimate toddler trademark: laying down in the floor fit throwin. It's a joy. She's had a good teacher so I'm not surprised to see some of these characteristics already. I had high hopes that she would be our easy breezy toddler that skipped through the terrible 2s and 3s gleefully. Could it be that Addie's toddlerhood has just been preparation for us to get through Emmalyn's? Let's not go there.
No, to be honest, her outbursts aren't terrible or very often and it's exciting to see her personality start to shine. I'm glad she stands up for herself (minus the hitting with the golf club) and can express what she likes. Although, I do miss the days when she'd eat anything I put on her tray. Now I could put a sweet potato or even a doughnut on her plate and depending on her mood she might just throw it on the floor. How rude. I guess no one ever taught her any manners. If I have ketchup on her plate she'll eat most of her food. The food is mostly her conduit to get the ketchup in her mouth but that's a win in my book. Ketchup = veggies, right? Close enough.
She's getting more opinionated about her literary selections these days too. We'll sit down to rock before bed at night and she'll point and grunt at various books that she insists I read. She loves looking at her photo books. Raising the next generation of selfie addicts. You're welcome.
I love hearing all the new words she says these days. It's precious when she yells out Addie's name. The animal sounds she makes like "mau" for meow and "qua, qua" for quack quack are just too stinkin cute. For some reason she has an obsession right now with bellies. She'll point to various people's bellies and say "be-ee" in hopes that you'll lift up your shirt and she can poke your belly button. Ok kid, whatever makes ya happy. Glad you find my belly so hilarious.
She's surprising us all with her budding sense of humor. Her expressions are priceless. We can be eating dinner and look over and she's making the toothiest, goofiest grin that gets us all chuckling.
She has a very loving spirit too that keeps my momma heart full. She'll run up to me or Andrew and squeeze our legs like her life depends on us. ... well I guess it kind of does. Smart kid. Speaking of smart, she can point to mostly all of her body parts now, recite her ABCs, and draw straight lines... Ok, the latter two may or may not be true. Oh but what is true is that she has successfully and purposefully (key point) pee pee'd on the potty not one or two but THREE times thus far. We've let her sit on it some to get comfortable and just this week she actually has started peeing. Up until now she would just lean back all comfy and cozy on her little toddler potty like an old man relaxing in his recliner after a hard day's work. It's the cutest. We probably won't start officially potty training until she's closer to 2. I'd like to prolong the headache for a smidge. Addie is starting to go to bed at night a little better (I hesitate to even type that out) so I'm just going to take a deep breath and enjoy this "peaceful break". Don't fix what isn't broken as they say... or better yet don't potty train a toddler before you're ready for your house to smell like urine 24/7.
Back to E: At her doctor appointment (only 3 months behind schedule, poor 2nd child) she was doing great. Weighed 22 lbs, measured 31 and 1/4 inches long, average percentile. I'll take it! Woo hoo, we aren't totally screwing up this parenting gig!
Thank you God for our healthy sweet Emme. The smiles she greets me with when I finally drag myself out of bed to go get her in the mornings are fuel for my soul. She is a blessing. Now please let these next 6 months go by slowly.
No comments:
Post a Comment