Thursday, September 1, 2016

Emme's Big Boo Boo

It was Wednesday night and I had fed kids something that wasn't from a drive thru and had them dressed and ready to go to church, with time to spare. Ummmm let me just repeat that it was a Wednesday and we were going to church. That in itself is a milestone. I was feeling pretty high on life until I decided to brush my teeth and take 2 steps away from my hot curling iron. Apparently the cord was calling to Emme. Within .5 seconds flat it was in her arms and the screams started. Mine were probably louder than hers. Regardless of how fast it all went down I wish I could've gotten it out of her arms faster. Amidst all of our tears and Addie trying to call Andrew on the phone, I put her arms under cold water just praying I could wash away the damage. I didn't even want to look at the inevitable. I felt sick. I knew I never should've used that curling iron with one setting- too hot. Dang beach waves, you are so not worth this.

By the grace of God Andrew got home within just a couple of minutes. He of course was the calm that our storm so needed. His first action: kick me out of the room. For some reason, my meltdown wasn't super helpful. I called my nurse practioner friend Krissy like I always do for anything scary medical. She talked me down and reviewed my picture updates with the advice to just keep cool water on it and refrain from putting anything on it for the night. Her human voice was so less frightening than WebMD.

Meanwhile, Andrew had gotten Emme calm and actually playing in cool water. Did I mention that he was calm? I think he has a bit of natural Xanax in his blood. However, I come in the room crying and I get Emme all bothered again. Yup, kicked out I get. She really was a champ through the whole experience and continues to be. I say this with no bias whatsoever: she is legit amazing. We went to the doctor today and she confirmed that the burns are 2nd degree. She lathered on some thick burn cream and wrapped her tiny little arm up in purple gauze.


Be still my heart.

She has a little journey ahead of her until it completely heals but Lord willing her sweet little arm will be back to normal one day soon. She won't get to play in the bath or sun for a while but she'll definitely get some extra lovin' from me and others. She's already scored some cookies, a new baby doll (thanks Nana), and ice cream out of the situation so far.

It's so hard to look at her burns and not crumble under the weight of the guilt or the pain I feel for her but I'm really trying to look at her and just be thankful.
 
Thank you God that she wasn't burned any worse.
Thank you that she's taking the pain like a champ.
Thank you that it wasn't her hands or feet or face.
Thank you for the prayers and support from friends.
Thank you for speaking grace to me. (I'm trying to listen.)

THANK YOU FOR THIS SMILE.


6 comments:

  1. I so loved reading this! I so love you! Bless your sweet heart! Bless all you A - E's ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of your sweet baby girl and praying for a speedy recovery! You are a great mom Amanda and those sweet babies are so quick! I remember when Jackson was just a little baby, about 4 months and he was laying on my bed, I turned around for a split second and before I knew it, he had fallen off the bed and I caught him mid air and he was crying hysterical. I had mom guilt for a while...but thankfully he didn't get hurt. This soon shall pass, love reading your blog and may God bless you always. -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy!!! I've done a few mid air catches too! :)

      Delete
  3. You're a sweet mama and we all have moments we wish we could go back in time! God is good - so glad she is going to be ok and not in a lot of pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Me too! :) Hope you and yours are doing well!!!

      Delete