Monday, September 12, 2016

Never Forget

FIFTEEN YEARS. It's hard to believe that it has been that long since our country was attacked on Sep. 11th, 2001. My memory is sketchy (especially since having 2 kids) but here is what I remember.

I was a senior in high school, 17 years old. We had cheerleading practice during our morning PE class. We had just finished and were changing into our school clothes while coating on makeup, deodorant, and Bath and Body Works body splash over our sweaty selves. Yes, we were cheerleaders that worked hard AND sweated a lot. Anyways, we were in our coach's room when the teacher next door runs in and says "Turn on the TV! We are being attacked!"

SAY WHAT?! Our school is being attacked? our city? our...

Then we turned on the television and it all became clear.

No one knew what to say. It was all very surreal and confusing. To be completely honest, I wasn't 100% sure I even knew exactly what the Twin Towers were. Typical Alabamian. As we were watching, the bell rang to dismiss us to next period but I'm pretty sure we just stayed glued to the news. We looked to the adults for guidance but I'm pretty sure they were just as shocked as us. Then as we were watching, we saw the 2nd attack happen. We weren't sure if this was live coverage or what exactly was happening. Eventually I believe we went to our next class but the whole school just watched the news the entire day.

It felt right to go home and be with my family that night. A group of neighborhood boys and friends gathered at our house like normal and were all riled up, ready to enlist in the army the next day. We were all very uncertain about the next steps.

The local churches and our school had prayer services and memorials. We had USA day at school the next week. I have a picture of me and some friends posing with flags and red, white, and blue paraphernalia with oblivious smiles. We weren't the epitome of reverent but all we really understood to do was support our country and President Bush and go on with our life. The weight of what actually happened and how it would shape our future was hard for 17 yr. olds to grasp.

That following January when we were supposed to fly to Orlando, FL for National cheer competition, we drove a bus 12+ hours. September 11th was too recent for any of the mommas or our pregnant coach to put everyone on a plane. That's about where the direct impact on my year after the attack ends.

Fifteen years and two children later, our world is a smaller place to me and I realize the delicacy of our country. It's like when you grow up and realize that your house was tiny and your big strong Daddy cries.

I was sitting in church yesterday with roughly 500 people imagining what it would feel like for four times that number of people to be killed in an attack. FOUR TIMES the number of people in my church... GONE. It's still too heavy for my 32 year old brain to grasp.

God help us comfort those who still hurt.
Help us unite.
Help us defend.
Help us love.
Help us never forget.
Help us forgive.

Help us LOOK TO YOU.

Help us, please Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment