Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Dog days of Summer


Well, life has had its easier days…. Or maybe I should say less interesting days.

I’ll just start with the good things. First off, we welcomed our newest family member, Penny, to our crew at the beginning of July. It’s been fun, exciting, nerve-wrecking, and stressful. She’s truly adorable and mostly a sweet-natured pup that the girls want to hold ALL. THE. TIME. She’s been held upside down by her tail, knocked off the couch, picked up by the neck, and sprayed with the water hose. Girl’s gotta be tough to hang with my kids. The girls truly do adore her. Addie has been wanting a dog for at least a couple years now so we took the plunge. Andrew and I left on a Saturday morning to go to Sparta, TN to pick her up. My parents kept the girls and then we got back home around 2 and Addie came outside to meet her new surprise. She was beyond excited. She said “did she hatch out of an egg?” haha. Cute.

 In some ways its been easier than expected and in others its been much harder. I didn’t anticipate that I would need to monitor the girls and her non-stop. I had JUST gotten to a point where I didn’t have to supervise them constantly. Oh well, hopefully the newness will wear off and they’ll learn to be more gentle with her. I want Penny to like them and not be a terrified dog. She’s doing pretty good with house training. She’s def had accidents inside, mostly when the kids let her out of her crate when she shouldn’t be. PLUS my body has decided that 32 is a good age for me to start being allergic to dogs. BUMMER. I hope I “grow out of it”. Please Lord. Maybe our old yorkie Allie is sending bad voodoo my way since we gave her away and got a different dog. ;)

The dog has been the most exciting part of our summer other than a beach trip to Destin we took with Debra and the Wilkins. Besides almost losing Levi on day 1 at the beach, we had a great time. We had great weather and the kids had so much fun playing in the waves for hours. Emme wasn’t a huge fan yet. Being shorter than the waves kind of made them not as fun and being hot in the sticky sand wasn’t her favorite thing in the world. She just kept wanting snacks and to go back inside. She loves her food.

Emme just passed her 2 and ½ yr mark in June and Addie is going to be 5 in a month. In some ways they are playing better together but there’s still kind of a bossy toddler vs. pestering little baby vibe going on. They seem to encourage each other to get into all sorts of trouble too. Maybe one day I’ll be able to turn my back and not worry that they’ll smear toothpaste all over the bedroom.

Emme is almost 30 lbs and is jumping off the ground all the time. Her language has definitely taken off. She says full sentences constantly and loves to use her words to tattle tell now too. ;0 I guess she decided she’s earned it. She can almost say her abcs with some translation required. She’s almost riding her tricycle all by herself and likes to swing in the big girl swing on her belly. She still wants me to push her (A LOT) on her baby swing too though. Her Dora shoes are def her fave accessory even though she’s probably never seen the actual show. We took her crib front piece off because she had started climbing out a couple months ago. (We also tried letting Addie sleep in Emme’s room around then and lets just say after two weeks we decided we aren’t trying that again for a WHILE.) So now her bed is basically a daybed with a rail on the front. FOR THE MOST PART, she stays in it when we put her to bed. I think it’s only because she can’t open the door so she knows there’s no escape route. PRAISE THE LORD OF LORDS that so far she’s been pretty good at going to sleep. SO THANKFUL. I still rock her some but we’re trying to wean off of that. She still wants only Momma at bed time. I think 15 mths of nursing her to sleep is to blame. Oh well.

Now, onto the big (almost) FIVE year old. In some ways I’m ready for 5 because I’m ready for a little bit less of toddler meltdowns and dependency. However, that also means she’ll officially be entering big kid status. GULP. She’s been wanting to do everything by herself since she was born though so that hasn’t changed… except for now she actually can do some things well on her own like get dressed (eh, with a little help picking out the clothes), brushing teeth, getting her water, fixing breakfast (granted the other morning it was chips and marshmallows), “helping” with the dog, and cleaning up (ummm… somewhat). I am proud of her growth in many ways. Her prayers sometimes make me catch my breath they are so sweet and sincere. I love how she acts around friends at church and seems to treat others kindly. She’s still a little timid around peers and gravitates more towards her familiar friends like Harrison at church. She’s more of a fan of “reading” a book to me or Andrew than she is of listening to one. I haven’t pushed too much forced academics this summer so her mind can rest and play. She starts her Mt. Zion kindergarten in August as well as dance. I still wonder if I should’ve just started her in Monrovia but I do think she’ll do really well at Mt. Zion. I hope she’ll gain confidence in herself. I can tell that when she can’t do something perfect the first time she gets very frustrated. I hope she will learn to give herself more grace and gain more perseverance. I’m excited to see all that she will learn. I think she might be more interested in gymnastics right now but we’ve signed up for another season of dance so we’ll give that one more year then see what she’d like to do. I just want her to find a passion and enjoy it. She’s played a lot less with her animals and toys lately and has been into coloring and drawing more. It’s kind of sad to not see her playing with all her “people”.
It’s a busy, challenging stage but also very sacred. Thank you God for this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment