Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Sewing with Nana

The desire to create struck me hard this past week. I fell in love with some precious pinafore dresses online and just had to give them a go.

After lots of ironing, you-tube'ing, and a few "re-do's", here's how the finished product turned out:



I love finishing a task but one of my favorite parts of this project was when I found the perfect buttons from my Nana's old sewing box. They absolutely completed the dress. I love finding little treasures left behind from her. It's like we get to sew together even though she isn't here. I would much prefer hearing her voice teaching me or having her hands helping me but finding her things is such a sweet way of feeling her presence.

I also found her loaded bobbins in used camera film bottles. I imagine she did that before Alzheimer's took her mind.  Her disease clouded our memories of her but this reminded me of how resourceful, organized and proactive she could be... and just think, she did all this before Pinterest taught us "101 clever ways to organize everything".

Thanks for sewing with me Nana.






No comments:

Post a Comment