Sunday, January 11th
I woke up at 4:30 with
fairly strong, regular contractions about every 10 minutes or so. I decided
just to let Andrew sleep and get I got in the bath. It was super relaxing and I was
feeling great and excited. I texted mom and Brooke (doula) to come over in an
hr or two. The contractions were not super strong though and by the time Brooke
and mom arrived they had almost stopped. There was no point in mom walking around nervously and Brooke analyzing each minor contraction so I just
told them to go on home since labor seemed to be stalled. Mom took Addie home
with her and Andrew and I settled in. I was a little frustrated thinking
that labor might not happen that day after all. Andrew ran out to borrow a
camera lens from JD and Krissy around lunch time. He got back around 1. I watched Pitch Perfect 2 (random movie) and just relaxed.
Bedroom zone
Around 2 pm (after lunging, pumping...yes, pumping,
sitting on the ball, stretching, getting in various positions) my
contractions started coming back. I took another bath. I camped out in our bedroom and listened to music with the lights low to try to get in "the zone". This is much of how I envisioned and had read about the labor process. I was so grateful to have this quiet reflection time pretty much all to myself. Around 4 pm they got stronger and I asked
Andrew to come in the room and help me through them. They were still far apart
and kind of sporadic (9 min, 15 min, 7 min, etc.)
I did a technique called abdominal lifts through about 5 contractions because it was supposed to make the contractions more effective. Those lifts were no joke. Soon after I did them, my contractions got really strong even though not much closer together. It helped if Andrew counted down during each one. I could still walk around and had plenty of time to walk or relax in between each one so I felt comfortable being at home still. We told Brooke that we might need her in an hour or so.
I did a technique called abdominal lifts through about 5 contractions because it was supposed to make the contractions more effective. Those lifts were no joke. Soon after I did them, my contractions got really strong even though not much closer together. It helped if Andrew counted down during each one. I could still walk around and had plenty of time to walk or relax in between each one so I felt comfortable being at home still. We told Brooke that we might need her in an hour or so.
Go time!
Around 5 pm I had a really strong contraction followed by a pop which felt
like a punch to my lady zone. It really scared me because I didn't know what it was. Once my water started leaking quickly figured it out. I sat on the potty just to make sure I wasn't peeing. When the next strong contraction hit and the fluid gushed out even more, I told Andrew to get the
bags and LETS GO! I was trying to stay calm but could feel the panic rising up in me. The contractions were on top of each other and super intense. I may
have been a tad snippy with Andrew. Thankfully the car ride was only 10 minutes to the
hospital. I gripped the seat and just tried to hang on. I kept saying soon, this will be over soon.
No Time for a Burger, Dear
We arrived to the hospital and had the good fortune to get to fill out papers,
answer questions and wait in the ER lobby for a labor nurse to come get us. After thiry super relaxing, glorious minutes of sitting in a wheelchair in my own amniotic fluid, the nurse finally wheeled me up to our room. I
felt paralyzed by the pain and fear. Bless the nurse's heart that was attempting to get me to put on a gown, lie in the bed, get an IV inserted, and answer questions. I mean, isn't that what anyone who is about to shove a human out her body wanting to do?! I may or may not have been a bit snippy at my Mom's well-meaning attempts to comfort me at this point too. I suppose that's why she decided to walk out and update the family instead of staying by my precious side.
When I finally got in the bed the nurse checked me and said I was 10 cm and ready to push! They paged Dr.
Murray and a few other nurses. I was laying on my side and hugging the side of
the bed. God help the person trying to get me to lay on my back. No ma'am. No way. I wasn't sure where anyone really was at this point. The side of the hospital bed was my only lifeline at this stage. Since no one realized that the baby was literally on her way out, my mother-in-law was about to bring in a hamburger to my husband. Sorry dear, no time for a burger. You'll just have to take one for the team.
Push it real good...
It was push time and
I was scared... no terrified! No time for the epidural. This is what I wanted, right? Why did I ever think that was a good idea?! Dr. Murray arrived and everyone told me I needed to push. All the books I read made it sound like pushing would be a relieving, uncontrollable urge. The only urge I had was to clinch the hospital bed and pray that the pain would end magically without me having to push my sweet baby out. Intense burning pain doesn't quite sum up how the pain felt. Amidst the instructions for me to keep pushing I sternly but politely (I am southern after all) said "I JUST NEED TO PAUSE!" Dr. Murray calmly replied that babies
don’t normally like to hang out in the canal too long and that the only way to end the pain was to push. It was time to face the inevitable. The prospect of ending the pain and keeping my baby safe motivated me to get this job DONE. With a blood-curdling scream from the depths of my soul, I pushed and pushed. After a few screams of “LORD HELP ME”, you were out! Following your head, the rest of your body really did slide out quickly like they say it happens. They put you right on my chest and
I cried with joy and overwhelming relief. You let out some strong cries and
your little purpl
e body started turning pink slowly and surely. PRAISE GOD.
Definitely one of the best moments of my entire life. You were born at 6:30 pm…
just one hour after we had arrived at the hospital. I'm pretty sure my first words were "Ok, please give me all the drugs you can now." followed shortly by "Why is she so purple?".
e body started turning pink slowly and surely. PRAISE GOD.
Definitely one of the best moments of my entire life. You were born at 6:30 pm…
just one hour after we had arrived at the hospital. I'm pretty sure my first words were "Ok, please give me all the drugs you can now." followed shortly by "Why is she so purple?".

No comments:
Post a Comment