On Friday, with the due date behind us, we did whatever it took to keep our minds off the wait. We went to Chik fil A with Mom and Dad for lunch, I got a pedicure, we watched Batman at the Monaco, and I met Jennifer, Tammy, and Emily at Lime. On Saturday morning, I woke up and noticed I was having contractions...yay! They were short in duration and not very intense yet. They would happen about ever 5-10 minutes. We walked about 3 times, went to Lowe's and Babies R us, walked to the Dollar General for rice krispy treat supplies, and I made some rice krispy treats for the fun night ahead. Making dessert is always a fun distraction. Around 6:00 my contractions started getting more intense, were about 45 seconds long and about 3 minutes apart.
HOSPITAL TIME: Because the contractions were so close together we decided to leave for the hospital. It was hard to know if it was really time or not but we figured it couldn't hurt to go ahead and go in. We checked into Crestwood around 7 pm. By the time we arrived, the contractions were getting pretty strong. The nurse, Dan'l (AMAZING), checked me only to detemine that I was THREE AND A HALF centimeters. Not what I was wanting to hear since my contractions already were pretty intense and close together. So we walked some laps around the hospital floor. UGH, those were not fun laps. Contractions were happening about ever 2 minutes and lasting about a minute and a half. So needless to say, there wasn't much rest occuring! Around 10:00 I was checked again and was at 4 cm. I was 90% effaced but I just wasn't dilating fast at all. Mom, Rochelle (our doula), Breana and especially Andrew really helped me out by holding my hands, rubbing my back, and helping me breathe. Each contraction was more of a hurdle than I realized it would be. Dad couldn't really take it so he stayed in the waiting room most of the time. Our family came back periodically to check on things. The background of people talking was a nice distraction but I don't think I ever looked at them at all. Rochelle kept reminding me to breathe and was trying to get me to walk but all I could stand was sitting on a ball with my head on the bed. We played some music from my phone which was nice to focus on during the contractions and I squeezed the heck out of this comb Rochelle gave me which was supposed to relieve pain by putting pressure on certain pressure points. It helped some but back massages, the ball, and a heating pad were the biggest helps.
PUSH TIME: By about 6:00 am I was around 9.5 cm and the nurse told me it was almost time to push. We decided to turn on the lights and get geared up for Adelyn's big debut. I was amazed at how quick it was about to happen. I pushed for about 30 minutes and at 7:00 am Adelyn Grace was here. What an amazing feeling to be able to see our little girl. There was meconium in the fluid which was a little scary but they sucked out Adelyn's nose and lungs and she was just fine. When I first saw her, I thought that she was the cutest, most pefect baby I had ever seen. She looked healthy and pretty filled out to me. I was surprised when they told us she was only 6 lbs, 1 oz. She was only 18 inches though so she was short and compact...like her momma. ;) After they cleaned her up which felt like forever to me, I got to hold my sweet little angel and nurse her. What a great moment. to look down at such a beautiful creation God blessed us with!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment