The girls, Mom, and I just got home from watching Frozen 2 this afternoon. I can't even describe how different it is going to the movies now with a 7 and 4 year old. It's moments like these that I realize how much they've grown up. They're currently sleeping in Addie's room for the night and it probably took us 10 minutes to "do bedtime". I don't even like to remember how long and tiring bedtimes used to be. So yea, there are sad parts to them getting older but I'm also really really really loving that they are more reasonable and independent. This is probably a stage where I've most wanted to freeze time for a while. It's a pretty sweet spot. They're still young enough to be my "babies" but big enough to be a mostly functional human. YAY, progress!
Addie is SUPER IN TO writing and treasure hunts! There are no less than 500 sheets of white paper scattered around the house with her stories of bananas being chased by cows and cats dancing with rats and such. It's actually pretty amazing. She could be doing so many worse things. At least 3 times a week she makes us a treasure hunt with phrases like "light so bright" that lead us to a clue on her lamp and so on and so forth. She's not playing with her dolls or any other toys really as much lately. Writing pretty much rules. She's doing well in gymnastics but a little bored with her class. She needs to move up to the next level. She might take it again in the Spring. She mentioned taking piano but now is mentioning singing lessons. I think she likes a little bit of a lot of things (I'm pretty sure where she gets that from). She can get easily bored with the same thing and seems to want to try different things. She's mentioned she does not prefer outdoor sports because it's either too cold or hot. Addie's doing great in 1st grade. Reading on a 2nd grade level and doing AR tests. She still talks about Mason a lot. He's been her fave boy for 2 years now. Her closest friend right now is probably Eliana. They can get on each other's nerves like sisters though. They are both pretty strong-willed 1st kids.
Emme's taking a break from gymanstics too. It's been good for just to work on overall strength and coordination. I don't think she was super into it but she stuck with it and played along. She's ready for softball this Spring and basketball next Fall. Girl's a baller. She's also imitating Addie and writing like crazy lately too. She's not spelling anything independently yet besides her name and a few basic words though so we get a lot of "How do you spell ____" all the time (from Addie too!). Emme has changed and matured a lot this year too. She still has a special heart for babies and kids younger than her. She also still tends to like playing with boys. Zach is her main man, although I don't necessarily know if Zach is as into a little girl playing with him all the time :) They're sweet though. This is the 2nd year they've been in the same class together. I can tell Emme is starting to become more aware of social expectations like who wants to play with me and who is my best friend. She can get her feelings hurt about people not playing with her which is a lot different because she used to not care at all. She's still pretty easy going. Loves talking on the phone in the mornings with her Nana. She's not a huge tv watcher right now. She likes to follow me or Andrew around and just kind of hang with us. Kind of an old soul. Very perceptive. Asks a lot about plans, other people, sick people, etc. Recently we've known a few people that have died or been really sick and Emme will remember those people in her prayers for months and months. Definitely has a caring heart... and a great memory.
Overall, they are growing beautifully and we couldn't be more thankful.