Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Two sweet!


We just finished celebrating Emmalyn's 2nd birthday this past week.



I'm having a hard time not thinking of which heart craft I want to make for her party anymore. Instead it's that dull stage of winter and I'm reflecting about how my baby got to be TWO already!? Can we go back to 15 months and freeze that age for a while? I know that the ultimate goal is to raise them up and send them off but it’s soooo hard. Especially when they’re transitioning from sweet baby to independent, opinionated toddler. (I don't think Andrew and I produce the submissive type) She has been a joy-baby to love and knowing that she’s more than likely our last child makes her exit from baby stage bittersweet. At least she’s not leaving for college tomorrow… even though I might wish that during these next 2 years, ha. Hopefully her toddler years won’t be too terrible.

For now she's still my little baby-toddler and I get to see the amazing ways she is learning. Just over the past few months her personality has really started coming out. The girl can be a little comedienne when she wants to be. Her expressions are so funny. She loves repeating funny words Addie says like poot. She still loves her food. She has tasted her fair share of junk food from big sis so the “healthy” foods aren’t as easy to get her to eat. She still will eat any fruit and tries most vegetables.

Language has really taken off lately. She surprises me daily with a new word she can say. She loves reading books with me and helping with some of the words she remembers. (Llama llama red pajama, brown bear) She’ll say a handful of sentences like “I want to go” or “I want that”. Most involve wanting something ;). She’s also a good little singer when I sing songs to her. She’ll join in on Twinkle Twinkle little star, the wheels on the bus, God is so Good, and a few others. She loves to boogie with Addie to music as well. I think she has some natural rhythm. She might want to start dance class sooner than Addie did. Girl can do some yoga too! She has this one pose where she sticks her hands on the ground and one foot in the air. It’s so cute and normally gets lots of applause…hence why she loves to do it when people are around, especially grandparents.

All of a sudden, she’s become picky about her bedtime routine. She fights sitting in the rocking chair and reading a book because she knows that sleep comes shortly after. She’ll demand her water or baby or pillow or blankie and is super picky about her book selection once we get to that stage too. After we read the book, I rock her a couple minutes without the light on (because I still love my cuddles with her!) and then lay her in her crib. EVERY night she’ll cry for about 10 minutes. I am in NO RUSH to move her to a big girl bed anytime soon. So far she hasn’t tried to climb out yet. She still demands that MOMMY puts her to sleep (WHICH I LOVE) but will easily go to sleep with Daddy if I’m not around. I can tell that she’s becoming less of a mommy’s girl lately.

She and Addie sometimes play well together these days. Occasionally they can get really rough with each other. Normally Emme ends up in tears. Addie has a hard time accepting that Emme has a real opinion about her toys and is not afraid to let everyone know. However, most of the time Emme will just play with whatever scrap toys Addie has thrown to the side. Lately she’s shown interest in baby dolls. She enjoys wrapping them up in blankets and feeding them. She also likes puzzles and cutting apart fruit with a fake knife.

When the sisters aren’t fighting they LOVE being around each other and sit together at chapel in school. Addie will hold Emme’s hand and walk her into school most days. It’s a very “frenemy” kind of situation.

I thought Emme was going to be super easy-going but now I’m not so sure. Her opinions from what book we read to the shows we watch (BARNEY) are becoming louder. She still has a very sweet heart and loving personality though. She’s a great hugger, kisser, and cuddler. She’ll pat the couch to ask you to come sit down beside her.

Potty training has officially begun too. She does well most of the time. She likes to wear her big girl panties but normally has 1-2 accidents in them. She’s pooped on the potty a handful of times. If you ask her to go pee on the potty she’ll quickly say “NO” but by the time she’s sat down on it she normally complies and goes. She likes to use the big potty some too. I would hard-core go straight to panties but I hate to send her to school and make her teacher do all that extra work. (same for Nana… I don’t think she’s ready yet ;) For now we just are trying to do panties when I’m home. It somewhat breaks my heart to see her booty in big girl undies but when I think of the money we will save I suddenly feel better.
I'm trying to live in the present and not think too hard about her leaving babyhood behind (key word: try). For now, we are having so much fun with her and loving being her parents. We pray she will keep her silliness and sweetness. Thank you GOD for our Emmalyn Kate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment